Slate Care and Maintenance
Basic slate maintenance is easy, simply clean the with liquid dish soap and water and rinse.
However if the slate comes in contact with oily substances that might stain, it’s essential to remove the contaminant as soon as possible, before the stone absorbs it.
For slate stains, try this process:
- Clean the with liquid dish soap and water and rinse. Scrub with a sponge and rinse with water.
- Mix a solution of equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray the solution onto the stains. Allow to stand for five to 10 minutes before scrubbing with a non-steel-wool scrub pad.
If that didn’t get the stain out completely:
- Make a paste of equal parts baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.
- Apply the mixture to the stain either with a sponge or with a spray bottle.
- Allow to stand for about 15 minutes, then wipe up the solution with a warm towel.
If you have repeat issues with stains, you can seal and protect the slate by boiling some linseed oil and applying it with an old towel. Remove any excess oil with a clean towel.